Thursday, June 3, 2010

I have the right team....

I know tonight's match-up is The Celtics vs. The Lakers, but I still want to see LeBron James ~ I was pulling for the Cavs ! I'm sure the Lakers will pull it off.

LeBron's story is such a humble one and one that I think speaks volumes to many people today-- In a day of 'instant everything'-- prosperity, luxury and 'give me' ..... nothing about his childhood was instant. In fourth grade he missed over 100 days of school because he and his mom moved around nearly 12 times and he didn't have a way of getting to school at times.

I just read a great story in WebMD about his relationship with his mom, who was 16 when she had him. He gives so much credit to his mom who worked hard to make ends meet. He also treasures his long-time girlfriend who is the mother of his two children.

His mother, Gloria knew LeBron needed stability so she sent him to live with one of his coaches. I can't imagine making that decision as a mother, she says she did it for him - she knew the influence a solid family and the strong manly mentality of a coach would have on him and says it forever changed his life. She's not sure if he would have developed into the basketball player he is today without the influence of coach Frank Walker. Walker coached the Summit Lake Community Center Hornets - LeBron's first basketball team. The rest is history as they say.

the article states...

Gloria James laughs when she ponders where her son got the hoops gene. She grew up in a sports-loving family, and she recalls sitting on her grandfather's lap as a little girl, watching … baseball. The Cleveland Indians were her team. "He picked up basketball on his own," she says. "I can't take credit for that one."
So the league MVP (2 years) and Rookie of the year in 2003 making 90 million that first year has a big decision to make this year as a free agent. James also represented the U.S. on the Olympic team in Beijing. President Obama went on record today saying (and he changed his mind) ...
"It would be a terrific story if the basketball superstar stayed with the Cleveland Cavaliers instead of switching teams as a free agent. That's a town that has had some tough times."
The president said it would be a wonderful statement to Cleveland if James said: "I'm going to make a commitment to this city."
A terrific story indeed. I'm all for him sticking it out myself and being a light there - he's such a hometown kinda guy. I like that in him.
We'll have to wait and see what choice James makes. I'm sure he's not thinking about it too much tonight... I'm sure his eyes are glued to ESPN tonight to watch the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment