Friday, July 16, 2010

Summer's coming to an end...

The summer months are coming to an end. I spent some time relaxing in the pool tonight reflecting on all that has happened in just one week.
Free-Agents not so free anymore. Steinbrenner passing, The baseball All-Star Game
(Josh Johnson will pitch this year -- he didn't get to see the mound last year)
Growing up the summer months were always spent on a softball diamond.
The fall months were spent running cross country or playing field hockey.
I spent my winter months training inside for softball season.
Every athlete knows
There is no 'off-season'
My dad took me to Catonsville Community College when I was a junior in HS so I could be exposed to the best pitching coaches on the East coast.
We knew as a family early on that softball was my strong sport.
(I think I can still pitch about 60 mph fast ball)
It's so nice to see the kids today being exposed to great softball at such an early age. I wrote a story this past week on a softball star that went on to Delaware State University and is now playing for one of the most elite National ASA softball teams.
"The Boss" in my life (dad) was like Steinbrenner -- demanding and tough, but dad knew what my strong points were and we maxed them out.
Dad had expectations and volleyball and basketball clinics would have been somewhat of a waste of money for us to invest in. I didn't have the jumping ability needed for v-ball and b-ball. I see athletes now that are very versatile.
As the fall HS season quickly approaches, the football season will be here before we know it.
10-weeks of the most exciting Friday nights. There is such an explosive environment on Friday night at the HS football game.
The energy of the fans, the mentality of the coaches. It's ALL GOOD.
I can't wait.
Summer turns into fall and fall turns into
FOOTBALL...
T.O. is still looking for a home and I'll be watching more Ravens games this season just to see Zorn and how he's doing. I'll keep my Skins in the forefront of my mind, but the Ravens will be my 2nd best squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment